Thursday, August 5, 2010

Changes

A lot's changed in the past two weeks. The best friend I made in Korea went back to the US for good. My boyfriend and I decided to raise a beautiful Siamese kitten, Casper, together. After which, he went on vacation for two weeks to the Philippines and Hong Kong. Basically, everyone went on vacation except for me. I have yet to go on vacation. The fact that I've been fairly isolated the past two weeks has left me a huge chunk of time to self-reflect and think about other aspects of my life.


The time has definitely gone by rather slowly. It's been a bit strange not having Brittany around. I've missed being able to share problems over lunch and missed our long chats while hiking the mountain behind my apartment. There are things only women as women can truly understand about each other. I miss that connection especially since it is so rare to find someone of the same gender that you connect so well with. All I can think about are all the adventures and great memories that we've shared together. Climbing a steep snow-covered mountain with bad shoes ....no traction or grip whatsoever, Brittany traveling to Busan with me , laughing at my clumsiness on the hole-filled streets and sidewalks of South Korea, and even laughing at her unusual way with words.






Brittany and I right before we started our hike. We're both telling each other "We must be crazy. We're crazy. We're insane" as the picture is being taken. Can't you tell how excited we are to be hiking at 7:30 in the morning on a frrrreeezing January morning?






Busan at the Haedong yongungsa temple. Brittany and I were standing in front thinking that not one but two golden pigs were going to bring us good luck and fortune! What happened? Brittany got engaged and I...well let's just say that the pigs decided to bestow their blessing on her. See even in the picture the pig is kissing her on the head :P


Work just isn't the same or rather I should say that it's not as entertaining or as fun without Brittany. My new co-worker is a native Korean, Richard, who studied English for 12 years in New Zealand. His English is at best mediocre. He's nice enough though, and he's intelligent and willing to work hard and learn. Half the time it seems as though he walks around looking scared and intimidated. I'm sure that he'll settle in after a few weeks. Hopefully the kids can understand his English. As for me? Since Brittany's been gone, I've spent most of my time driving myself into work. This has its advantages and disadvantages of course. On the upside, I've been ridiculously productive. On the downside, I've done all the work for the entire rest of the semester. This means that I'll have 2 hours where i'll be desk-warming...at least until finals week arrives. Then I'll be grading exams like a crazy person.


The other big news? I adopted a cat with the man I love. Never in a million years did I think I would find someone who would make me indescribably happy and never in South Korea. When i'm with him, it's not just happiness but a sense of peace that I have never felt before. So to save reader's from experiencing nausea from words of love and just how happy I am, I think a simple picture will suffice.













Casper

No comments:

Post a Comment