Monday, July 5, 2010

The past 8 months

It's amazing just how much happens...how much life changes within such a short period of time. The past 8 months in Korea have brought more trials and tribulations than the past two years of my life spent in the states. Despite various medical bumps here and there along the way, I'm grateful for the opportunities i've been given, for the experiences, for the serendipitous meetings that have all changed my life in this country. I came across a traveling quote by Nehru that seems to sum up my feelings :

"There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” –Jawaharial Nehru

There is so much truth in that statement. Each and every day I have walked with eyes wide open in this fascinating country wondering what I'll experience next. From the sounds of an amazing band whose members included not just a violinist but an accordian player as well to a beachside celebration filled with interpretive dancers and blazing saxophones...at times it almost seems that I suffer from sensory overload. So much happens that days blend into weeks and weeks blend into months in my mind. Time has flown by so quickly that I can hardly believe that I've lived in a foreign country for more than a month. There are so many experiences that I would like to write about, but the amount of writing would be enough to fill a small book. Here are pictures with captions that best represent the three seasons I have spent in the country of my ancestors....

WINTER -let is snow, let it snow, let it snow....and boy did it snow



The temples at Odaesan on the far eastern side of Korea during the New year's weekend.


Walking through Korea's biggest cave system. They gave us hard hats for a reason and we needed them.




The actual hike itself. Imagine hiking up a very steep mountain for two hours...now imagine the path covered in snow. Me + snow + uphill hike = a recipe for disaster.



Lotteworld with Brittany in the 4-D theater. Don't we look snazzy with our big bows!

SPRING- cold even til May



Dr. Fish... feet eaten by fish....



1st time grinding sauce in a restaurant


2010 Seoul International Marathon. There were thousands of runners and it was a blast chasing them all around Seoul.


Sunset and Oryeok Island from the boat in Busan.



Good food, great company....what more could you ask from the All-American Diner in Itaewon.



Placing my vote before the show for the type of Romeo and Juliet I wanted to see in a comedy version of the play. They were rock Romeo, vampire Romeo, minstrel Romeo, and club Romeo. Spy Juliet, high school Juliet, and this insanely happy Juliet.

SUMMER- love is in the air



Gyeongbukgong palace with Lee, my amazing boyfriend. (*^)(*^_^*)


posing with cardboard cutouts at Gyeongbukgong. A classic tourist action.


At the top of Namsan Tower with Brittany.


Standing in front of my other half.


The most bizarre sight at the bottom of Namsan Tower. A Mexican band.


Just one of the crazy things that has happened to me caught in a picture. Getting carded on the subway on the day of Korea's first world cup game.



There's something great about cheering with a group of strangers for a common goal...Korea's victory against Greece.


Standing in front of the KTX, Korea's bullet train, to Busan for a summer vacation to the beach.


At Haedong yonggungsa temple. A cliffside temple in Haeundae.



Lee took a picture to compare the size of the grouper to me.... :/

The water felt like ice even in July. Gwangalli beach.

Seeing as how I'm writing this at 2:37 in the morning. I promise there will be more commentary about experiences and insights into Korea later. For now, I just wanted to show a visual representation of the past 8 months.




1 comment:

  1. Did you shoot the first picture with the hanging bells? That photo is gorgeous! That and the pictures of the light house in Busan. I realized that you are a bad influence. Every time I talk to you I feel like breaking my contract and moving to Busan, lol! Great post Sarah

    ReplyDelete